Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Hello, how may I help you?

The next time any of you have to contact tech support for a piece of hardware or software please keep in mind the following scenario and understand that the person on the other end of the line has probably had to deal with issues like this one all day long. Even though my title is Computer Systems Administrator it really means nothing. For me and for many others in the working world it is only a title and we all carry a number of other titles that we would rather not maintain. One such title is tech support engineer, pretty fancy uh. This week has been one of those weeks where I wish I had catalogued all the lovely questions that I have been asked while in the capacity of tech support engineer. This case is just the one that takes the cake:

A user called and relayed to me that she was having a problem with our email system. This is a new user so I began by asking the simplest questions.

Me: “Have you ever used email on this computer before?”
User: “No”
Me: “ok, then I will need for you to click the icon beside the Start button labeled email.”
User: “I have already done that.”
Me: “Ok, but I need to go through and make sure that the error is program not computer specific.” (really wanted to say user specific but did not want to offend quite yet.)
User: “Oh, but I usually use the little picture on the desktop to open email.”
Me: “On this computer?”
User: “Yes.”
Me: “But you just said you had not used email on this computer.”
User: “I didn’t think you meant this computer.”
Me: “Reboot then call me back.”

From there I hung up the phone and began my chant to console myself: I love my job! I love my job! I love my job!
At least I still have a job right?

No comments: